Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Dear Fabulous File...

I am attending my parents's surprise 30th wedding anniversary party and have no idea what to wear. It’s at a winery and the venue and event are moderately casual. I would love to wear something that impresses family and friends, but my personal style is pretty conservative (i.e. classic pieces in safe colors like black, tan and white.)

The stickler is that I have a build like J.Lo: small on top and bigger on the bottom, not to mention my 'soccer legs.' Plus, here in Seattle, the climate is post-winter, early spring, so I want to look somewhat seasonal-appropriate, even if the weather isn't reflective of the change of seasons (yet.)

Basically, I'd love a stylish outfit that is post-work, pre-evening that is fitting for this in-between-season time of year, that also works for my body type. Please help!

-Mary



Dear Mary,

Wow, that's quite a conundrum, but never fear, I am here to help!

Here are some tips for you:

-Skirts are really popular for spring, so I'd start with one that is flattering and cut in a full swing skirt and worn above the waist (most likely the smallest part of your body.)








-A great, bold belt will accentuate your frame and keep the eye where it should be and help create an overall more balanced silhouette.

-Funk up the look with strong jewelry, a killer (but very walkable) pair of heels (to elongate those legs) and top off with either a fantastic oversized blazer (so hot right now!) or a more relaxed, hip motorcycle one that hits at the hip (or just above.)




-If you do wear a dress, remember to ALWAYS steer towards visually interesting elements up top, to keep the eye gravitating towards your face and bringing attention to your your top half (arms, shoulders, decollete.)







-This applies for blouses and tops, too--ruffles, feminine details, sweetheart necklines, pintuck details are great on you. The idea is to add some interest and volume on top to balance the bottom.
Pair with a wider leg trouser jean or pant for a more balanced and streamlined shape.










Hope this helps!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, so many cool options. Great advice!