I actually took quite a few candids myself so I could share here (seriously, if I were to have an alternative career, I should be a pap, because I have no shame snapping photos and running into the street); but all in all, the entire event was thoroughly disappointing. Here's why:
Matt and Camila refused interviews, PR was downright rude and the handbags are atrocious. As someone who attends fashion/celeb events for a living, this was one of the first times ever, where I literally left with a bad taste in my mouth. If you're going to promote a line, then promote your line.
Be friendly. Talk about the product. Pose for pictures. Chat with the press. And if you're a publicist and you're going to go through the trouble of coordinating the whole event and wrangling reporters to be there to create buzz for your client, then for Pete's sake, give us something to write about! Don't make us feel like we're the bad guys intruding on your night.
And lastly, if you have a baby and you don't want him photographed--don't bring the baby (and the nanny) out. This will also free you up to actually mingle and host the party that is being held in your honor.
On a personal note, Matthew McConaughey is no longer my all-time favorite actor. He was borderline rude and unfriendly, and might I add that close up, he looks pretty leathery and (dare I say it) old. Too much sun damage; hot bod, or not. Camila actually seemed like a sweet girl, but honestly, if you're going to launch a new line of (once again, reallly hideous) handbags, it might be helpful to actually talk about it to reporters so we can help you create some buzz and support you.
I had to do a little investigative reporting (seeing as how I couldn't get any quotes, and wasn't even allowed to take pics of the bags), so I'll fill you in: Camila and her mother created the line, and each bag is one of a kind and hand-crafted. There's a definite tribal feel to the line with its worn leather finishes, heavy doses of fringe (shudder) and emblazoned logos.
Price points? $450 to $1,350. Seriously. And for the few celebrity-hungry tourists visiting LA who will actually considering plunking down cash for such a bag, they can at least be comforted by the fact that 20% of the sale will go to Stand Up to Cancer.




See what I mean? Atrocious.
On a happier note, Perez Hilton made a splash at the soiree, showing off his trimmer figure. He was all smiles (posing for photos, signing autographs for fans outside and happily divulged to me that he loves actually fitting into his clothes now. Too bad his Hot Topic line is also tres tragic. Maybe celebrities should leave designing clothes to designers?? Just a thought.
Nevertheless, at least Perez understands the power of press, and will happily milk his two minutes of fame for all its worth.
Camila and Matt? So off my radar now.
No comments:
Post a Comment